Skip to Main Content

Columbus State University

Financial Aid


Eligibility and Entitlements title 38, U.S.C.

VA Educational benefits are provided to the veteran and qualified dependents as follows:

Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill. Service personnel may be eligible to receive benefits if they initially entered active duty on or after July 1, 1985, were discharged from active duty with an "Honorable Discharge," have completed their contractual active duty obligation and have contributed $100.00 a month for 12 months of active duty service.

Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation. Vocational Rehabilitation is provided for veterans who have a service connected disability and were discharged or released from active duty under conditions other than dishonorable. The Veteran Administration determines eligibility.

Chapter 32 - VEAP (Post Vietnam Era Veterans). Veterans who served and service persons currently serving are eligible if they entered active duty after December 31, 1976 and before June 30 1985, were released under conditions other than dishonorable or continue on active duty but have completed their obligation period of service and have satisfactorily contributed to the program. The contribution account must have been opened prior to April 1, 1987.

Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill. The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Approved training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill includes graduate and undergraduate degrees, and vocational/technical training. All training programs must be offered by an institution of higher learning (IHL) and approved for GI Bill benefits. Additionally, tutorial assistance, and licensing and certification test reimbursement are approved under the Post- 9/11 GI Bill.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay your tuition (based upon the highest in-state tuition charged by an educational institution in the state where the educational institution is located) and fees. For the first time in history, service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill program will be able to transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children starting Aug. 1, 2009.

Chapter 35 - Dependents. Dependents of veterans with a 100% permanent service-connected disability or service-connected death are eligible for 45 months of educational entitlement.

Chapter 1606 - Selected Reserve. Basic eligibility exists for a person who, after July 1, 1985

  • Enlists, reenlists or extends an enlistment for a period of not less than six years, or
  • Completes IADT (initial active duty for training), participating in Selective Reserve training and remains in good standing. Meets the requirements to receive a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT.

Chapter 1607 – Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Reap). REAP was established as a part of the Ronald W. Reagan National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005. It is a new Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This new program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

The Veteran Fee Waiver 
Effective Fall 2007, the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia approved a waiver for mandatory fees for Georgia residents who have seen combat in recent years as active members of the Georgia National Guard or the U.S. Military Reserves. Please contact the Office of Veterans Affairs at (706) 507-8865 for information on qualifying for this waiver.

For the most current Veterans Affairs information, please refer to the VA website at or visit the Office of Veterans Affairs in University Hall on campus.

For information regarding credit for military training, refer to the nontraditional sources of credit under the Undergraduate Admissions section of this catalog.