Specialist in Education
Secondary Education with fields in: English Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Science
College of Education and Health Professions
Department of Teacher Education
- Program Description
- Admission Requirements
- Learning Outcomes
- Additional Program Requirements
- Program of Study
Educator Preparation at Columbus State University is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), formerly the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
All educator preparation programs are approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
- GPA of at least 3.0 on all graduate course work at an accredited United States institution in fulfillment of the requirements for a graduate degree
- A clear renewable teaching license or documentation of eligibility for certification (approved program completion and applicable licensure exam scores)
- The successful applicant must not have a criminal record or discharge from the armed services that would prevent recommendation for related teacher certifications
- Minimum of three years of teaching experience
- demonstrating expertise in understanding and using content in their discipline area and sharing that understanding with others
- collaborating on instructional planning
- modeling a variety of instructional strategies to help every student succeed
- modeling strategies for creating a classroom environment that supports the learning of all students
- modeling the use of technology, curricula, and other materials to enhance student learning
- modeling a variety of effective assessment strategies and using assessment data to improve teaching and learning
- applying and adding to the body of educational research related to the teaching and learning of one’s content area and sharing research findings with others
- serving as a role model for other professionals by displaying values, commitments, dispositions, and habits associated with accomplished teaching
Additional Program Requirements
- Students must earn a 3.0 GPA calculated on all graduate work attempted. "Academic Forgiveness" policy does not apply to graduate studies.
- Students cannot graduate with a grade of "C" or below in more than two (2) graduate courses without an appeal to the College of Education Graduate Council.
- A minimum of 24 semester hours required for the degree must be earned in residence (75%). Asynchronous (online) and distance learning courses administered through Columbus State University constitute courses taken in residence.
- A maximum of six (6) semester hours of transfer credit or courses taken at CSU prior to full admission to a specialist degree program may be applied toward the degree. Courses with earned grades of "C" or below are not accepted. Courses must be approved by the major advisor and department chair.
- Students must complete a research project.
- An active LiveText account is a required resource for this program because selected assignments must be submitted electronically using this online platform. LiveText (www.livetext.com) is used by the university to maintain our accreditation, to demonstrate the quality of our academic programs, and to improve teaching and learning.
Program Of Study
Professional Core (11 hours)
EDCI 7359 Specialist Project (2 hrs.)
EDUF 7115 Psychology of Teaching (3 hrs.)
EDUF 7117 Quantitative Research Methods (3 hrs.)
EDUF 7118 Qualitative Research Methods (3 hrs.)
Select one of the following concentrations:
Select 13 hours from ENGL courses, English language arts, and methodology
Cognate and related fields:
Depending on prior graduate studies in English language arts content and pedagogy, up to 9 credits may be earned in related-field studies in gifted ed, ESL, special education, and other fields.
Mathematics Concentration (19 hours)
EDSE 7125 Issues in Mathematics Education (3 hrs.)
16 hours to be designed with advisor. You must have a minimum of 6 graduate math courses from this and your masters program.
Science Concentration (19 hours)
EDSE 7135 Curriculum Studies in Secondary Education (3 hrs.)
Select 4 hours in related field
Social Science Concentration (19 hours)
EDSE 7145 Curriculum Studies in Social Science Education (3 hrs.)
Select 9 semester hours from HIST courses
Select 6 semester hours from HIST, POLS, ECON, PSYC, SOCI courses
Select 1 semester hour of electives as approved by advisor
Total Hours Required: 30