Master of Arts in Teaching
Special Education General Curriculum with Reading Endorsement
College of Education and Health Professions
Department of Teacher Education
- Program Description
- Admission Requirements
- Learning Outcomes
- Additional Program Requirements
- Program of Study
Educator Preparation at Columbus State University is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), formerly the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
All educator preparation programs are approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
- Degree in related field or a minimum of 25 semester hours of approved coursework
- Transcript evaluation to determine content courses needed for certification.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 (regular admission) or 2.50 (provisional admission) on all undergraduate work at an accredited United States institution in fulfillment of the requirements for a baccalaureate degree
- Satisfactory scores on the general portion (quantitative and verbal) of the Revised Graduate Record Exam (GRE) with "writing assessment" component; OR passing scores on the GACE content examinations required in the intended teacher certification field
- Admission to Teacher Education – Go to http://safe.columbusstate.edu/teacher_ed.php for additional information.
- Demonstrate knowledge of characteristics of the learner with special needs
- Demonstrate knowledge and skill in the use and administration of assessment instruments and strategies
- Demonstrate competence in instructional strategies and techniques
- Demonstrate competence in classroom management
- Demonstrate competence in communication and consultation
Additional Program Requirements
- Students must earn a 3.0 GPA calculated on all graduate work attempted. "Academic Forgiveness" policy does not apply to graduate studies
- Students cannot graduate with a grade of "C" or below in more than two (2) graduate courses
- A minimum of 27 hours of the hours required for the degree must be earned in residence (75%). Asynchronous (online) and distance learning courses administered through Columbus State University constitute courses taken in residence
- A maximum of nine (9) semester hours of transfer credit or courses taken at CSU prior to full admission to a masters degree program may be applied toward the degree. Courses with earned grades of "C" or below cannot be transferred. The student’s advisor and the coordinator of the program in which the student is enrolled must approve any courses transferred
- All degree requirements must be completed within seven (7) years of first enrollment.
An active LiveText account is a required resource for this program because selected assignments must be submitted electronically using this online platform. LiveText (www.livetext.com) is used by the university to maintain our accreditation, to demonstrate the quality of our academic programs, and to improve teaching and learning.
For additional information about the program and admission to CSU, contact COEHP Graduate Studies at 706-568-2301.
Program Of Study
Area 1 Foundations Required Hours: 9
EDCI 6225 American Education
EDCI 6226 Instructional Applications
EDCI 6227 Foundations of Education: Human Development, Motivation & Learning
EDCI 6228 Special Education
SPED 6126 Special Education Law for Educators
Area 2 Teaching Field Studies Required Hours: 36
SPED 3215 Assessment and Prescription in Special Education
SPED 3275 Behavior Management for Students with Disabilities
SPED 4245 Methods and Materials for Teaching Children with Mild and Moderate Disabilities
SPED 6125 Managing Students with Behavior Problems
SPED 6189 Nature & Characteristics of Students with Mild and Moderate Disabilities
SPED 6265 Advanced Assessment of Exceptional Children/Youth
SPED 6269 Assistive Technology for Exceptional Learners
SPED 6295 Specific Strategies for Teaching Students with Mild and Moderate Disabilities
SPED 6785 Acquisition and Analysis of Special Education Information
SPED 6786 Special Educator as User and Disseminator of Information
SPED 6796 Trends and Issues in Special Education
EDRG 6245 Assessment and Classroom Instruction (or Equivalent Reading Course)
Area 3 Graduate Core Required Hours: 3
EDUF 6116 Research Methods
Area 4 The Practice of Education Required Hours: 11-15 hours
EDUF 6125 Classroom Management
EDUT 6105 Technology Infusion
EDCI 6698 Teaching Internship (2 semesters - 6 hrs.) OR EDCI 6485 Student Teaching (one semester - 10 hrs.)
SPED 6419 Practicum in Mild and Moderate Disabilities
Other Requirements: EDUF 6000 Exit Exam
Total Required Hours: 63-67