Master of Education
Secondary Education - Social Science
College of Education and Health Professions
Department of Teacher Education
- Program Description
- Admission Requirements
- Learning Outcomes
- Additional Program Requirements
- Program of Study
Educator Preparation at Columbus State University is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), formerly the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
All educator preparation programs are approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 (regular admission) or 2.50 (provisional admission) on all undergraduate work at an accredited United States institution in fulfillment of the requirements for a baccalaureate degree
- A clear renewable teaching license or documentation of eligibility for certification (approved program completion and applicable licensure exam scores)
- The successful applicant must not have a criminal record or discharge from the armed services that would prevent recommendation for related teacher certifications
- Demonstrate expertise in identifying and using research and resources of the field.
- Demonstrate expertise in designing instruction to promote active learning and critical thinking.
- Demonstrate expertise in identifying and using appropriate media and technology in designing and delivering effective instruction.
- Value cultural diversity as an instructional resource and demonstrate expertise in designing and implementing instruction that is effective with diverse learners.
- Demonstrate expertise in connecting planning and instruction to authentic assessment of student learning.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the teaching profession, lifelong learning and a commitment to the Georgia PSC Code of Ethics for Educators and the NCSS Social Studies Code of Ethics.
Additional Program Requirements
- Students must earn a 3.0 GPA calculated on all graduate work attempted. "Academic Forgiveness" policy does not apply to graduate studies
- Students cannot graduate with a grade of "C" or below in more than two (2) graduate courses
- A minimum of 27 hours of the hours required for the degree must be earned in residence (75%). Asynchronous (online) and distance learning courses administered through Columbus State University constitute courses taken in residence
- A maximum of nine (9) semester hours of transfer credit or courses taken at CSU prior to full admission to a masters degree program may be applied toward the degree. Courses with earned grades of "C" or below cannot be transferred. The student’s advisor and the coordinator of the program in which the student is enrolled must approve any courses transferred
- All degree requirements must be completed within seven (7) years of first enrollment
An active LiveText account is a required resource for this program because selected assignments must be submitted electronically using this online platform. LiveText (www.livetext.com) is used by the university to maintain our accreditation, to demonstrate the quality of our academic programs, and to improve teaching and learning.
Program Of Study
Area 1 Professional Core Required Hours: 7
EDUF 6115 Educational Psychology
EDUF 6116 Educational Research Methods
EDUF 6795 Seminar: Foundations of Collaborative Student Support
Area 2 Pedagogical Studies Required Hours: 10
EDCI 6158 Trends and Issues in Middle Grades/Sec Education
EDCI 6255 Teacher Inquiry and Investigation
EDSE 6145 Teaching Social Studies in Grades 6-12
EDSE 6205 Teaching the Diverse Learner in the Social Studies Classroom
Area 3 Concentration Required Hours: 18
History: Select 18 semester hours (5000+ with at least 1 course at
6000+ level) from HIST for a content area concentration
Political Science: Select 18 semester hours (5000+ with at least 1 course at
6000+ level) from POLS for a content area concentration
Social Sciences: Select 18 semester hours (5000+ with at least 1 course at
6000+ level) from HIST, POLS, GEOG, or ECON to supplement previously taken coursework
Area 4 Electives Required Hours: 1
Select 2 semester hours (6000+ level) as approved by advisor
Total Hours Required: 36