Specialist in Education
Secondary Education with fields in: English Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Science
College of Education and Health Professions
Department of Teacher Education
- Program Description
- Admission Requirements
- Learning Outcomes
- Additional Program Requirements
- Program of Study
Educator Preparation at Columbus State University is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), formerly the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
All educator preparation programs are approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
- GPA of at least 3.0 on all graduate course work at an accredited United States institution in fulfillment of the requirements for a graduate degree
- A clear renewable teaching license or documentation of eligibility for certification (approved program completion and applicable licensure exam scores)
- The successful applicant must not have a criminal record or discharge from the armed services that would prevent recommendation for related teacher certifications
- Minimum of three years of teaching experience
- model a variety of instructional strategies to help every student succeed
- model a variety of effective assessment strategies and use assessment data to improve teaching and learning
- apply and add to the body of educational research related to the teaching and learning of one’s content area and share research findings with others
- serve as a role model and leader for other professionals by displaying values, commitments, dispositions, and habits associated with accomplished teaching
Additional Program Requirements
- Students must earn a 3.0 GPA calculated on all graduate work attempted. "Academic Forgiveness" policy does not apply to graduate studies.
- A maximum of one course (not to exceed four semester credit hours) with a grade of "C" may apply to a specialist degree in education.
- A minimum of 24 semester hours required for the degree must be earned in residence (75%). Asynchronous (online) and distance learning courses administered through Columbus State University constitute courses taken in residence.
- A maximum of six (6) semester hours of transfer credit or courses taken at CSU prior to full admission to a specialist degree program may be applied toward the degree. Courses with earned grades of "C" or below are not accepted. Courses must be approved by the major advisor and department chair.
- Students must complete a research project.
- An active Tk20 account is a required resource for this program because selected assignments must be submitted electronically using this online platform. Tk20 (www.tk20.com) is used by the university to maintain our accreditation, to demonstrate the quality of our academic programs, and to improve teaching and learning.
- Students must be continuously enrolled in specialist project hours until completion of the specialist project.
Program Of Study
Professional Core (12 hours)
EDCI 7119 Specialist Project Proposal (1 hr.)
EDCI 7359 Specialist Project (2 hrs.)
EDUF 7115 Psychology of Teaching (3 hrs.)
EDUF 7117 Quantitative Research Methods (3 hrs.)
EDUF 7118 Qualitative Research Methods (3 hrs.)
Select one of the following concentrations:
Select 12 hours from ENGL courses, English language arts, and methodology
Cognate and related fields:
Depending on prior graduate studies in English language arts content and pedagogy, up to 9 credits may be earned in related-field studies in gifted ed, ESL, special education, and other fields.
Mathematics Concentration (18 hours)
EDSE 7125 Issues in Mathematics Education (3 hrs.)
15 hours to be designed with advisor. You must have a minimum of 6 graduate math courses from this and your masters program.
Science Concentration (18 hours)
EDSE 7135 Curriculum Studies in Secondary Education (3 hrs.)
Select 3 hours in related field
Social Science Concentration (18 hours)
EDSE 7145 Curriculum Studies in Social Science Education (3 hrs.)
Select 9 semester hours from HIST courses
Select 6 semester hours from HIST, POLS, ECON, PSYC, SOCI courses
Total Hours Required: 30