Bachelor of Science in Education
Early Childhood Education
College of Education and Health Professions
Department of Teacher Education
- Program Description
- Admission Requirements
- Learning Outcomes
- Additional Program Requirements
- Program of Study
- 4 Year Course Schedule
Educator Preparation at Columbus State University is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
All educator preparation programs are approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
- maintain high levels of professionalism and ethical standards that demonstrate commitment to the teaching profession
- establish effective written and oral communication with students, teachers, administrators, and parents/families
- organize and implement differentiated instruction to support students’ performances commensurate with their levels of readiness and diverse backgrounds
- evaluate, select, and implement appropriate instructional practices related to curriculum (e.g., reading and writing) with attention to the inclusion of technology
- develop assessments and analyze assessment data for future instructional decisions
Additional Program Requirements
- Maintain a CSU and Overall 2.50 GPA. If the grade point average falls below the requirement, the student has one semester to raise his/her GPA. Students who do not meet the GPA requirements after that semester must take additional courses other than the ones required for admission to teacher education.
- Students must earn not less than a C in field and professional courses. Only 10 percent of the professional and field courses may be repeated at CSU or another accredited college. Correspondence courses will not be accepted in field or professional courses.
- Students who fail to complete a degree program after three years from date of admission to Teacher Education will be excluded from the program and required to re-apply under current admission policies.
To be eligible for CSU's recommendation for a Georgia professional teaching certificate, students must complete a rigorous program of coursework. They also must meet certain other criteria required by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission. Please contact the COEHP Student Advising & Field Experiences office at 706-568-2191 or 706-568-2194 for further information.
Program Of Study
The Early Childhood Education program is currently being revised to comply with changes implemented by the Board of Regents. Students should see an advisor in the Office of College of Education and Health Professions Services and Field Experiences (Jordan Hall, Room 107) to obtain the most current program information.
Area B Institutional Options Required Hours: 4-5
Select two of the following courses:
Select one of the following courses: Foreign Language 1001, 1002, 2001, or 2002
Any Area C-E course with a study abroad component.
Note: the extra hour may be used as an elective.
Area C Humanities/Fine Arts/Ethics Required Hours: 6
Select one of the following humanities courses:
Area D Science/Math/Technology Required Hours: 10-11
Select two science courses from the list below, one of which must include a lab.
ASTR 1105/1305 (lab optional)
BIOL 1215K (lab included)
BIOL 1125 (no lab)
ENVS 1105/1105L (lab optional)
Select one of the following courses or a science course from above:
Area E Social Sciences Required Hours: 12
Select one course from the following two courses:
Take the following course:
Select one behavioral science course from the following courses:
Select one world cultures course from the following courses:
Wellness Requirement Required Hours: 3
Area F Courses Related to Major Required Hours: 18
("C" or better required in each course)
EDUC 2120 Exploring Socio-Cultural Contexts
on Diversity in Educational Settings
EDUC 2130 Exploring Learning and Teaching
Area G Program Requirements Required Hours: 66
("C" or better required in each course and may only attempt each course two times.)
EDEC 2000 Induction into ECE
EDRG 2156 Literature for Young Children
SPED 2256 Introduction to the Exceptional Learner in General Education
EDEC 4105 Technology for the 21st Century
EDEC 4155 Cognitive/Lang Dev in Early Child
EDEC 3256 Curriculum & Org in ECE
EDEC 4217 Teaching Language Arts in Early Childhood Education
Student Teaching Experience:
EDCI 4485 Student Teaching
EDUF 4115 Classroom Management
Total Hours Required: 129