Bachelor of Science in Education
Special Education - General Curriculum - Reading Concentration
College of Education and Health Professions
Department of Teacher Education
- Program Description
- Admission Requirements
- Learning Outcomes
- Additional Program Requirements
- Program of Study
- 4 Year Course Schedule
Educator Preparation at Columbus State University is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
All educator preparation programs are approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
The B.S.Ed. Special Education program is also nationally recognized by the Council for Exceptional Children.
- Demonstrate knowledge of how exceptionalities may interact with development and learning and use this knowledge to provide meaningful and challenging learning experiences for individuals with exceptionalities.
- Demonstrating competence in creating safe, inclusive, culturally responsive learning environments for individuals with exceptionalities.
- Demonstrate and use knowledge of general and specialized curricula to individualize learning for individuals with exceptionalities.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in the use of multiple methods of assessment and data-sources in making educational decisions.
- Demonstrate competence in selecting, adapting, and using a repertoire of evidence-based instructional strategies to advance learning of individuals with exceptionalities.
- Demonstrate and use foundational knowledge of the field and professional ethical principles and practice standards to inform special education practice, to engage in lifelong learning, and to advance the profession.
- Demonstrate competence in collaborating with families, other educators, related service providers, individuals with exceptionalities, and personnel from community agencies in culturally responsive ways to address the needs of individuals with exceptionalities across a range of learning experiences.
Additional Program Requirements
- Maintain a CSU and Overall 2.50 GPA. If the grade point average falls below the requirement, the student has one semester to raise his/her GPA. Students who do not meet the GPA requirements after that semester must take additional courses other than the ones required for admission to teacher education.
- Students must earn not less than a C in field and professional courses. Only 10 percent of the professional and field courses may be repeated at CSU or another accredited college. Correspondence courses will not be accepted in field or professional courses.
- Students who fail to complete a degree program after three years from date of admission to Teacher Education will be excluded from the program and required to re-apply under current admission policies.
To be eligible for CSU's recommendation for a Georgia professional teaching certificate, students must complete a rigorous program of coursework. They also must meet certain other criteria required by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission. Please contact the COEHP Student Advising & Field Experiences office at 706-565-1433 for further information.
Program Of Study
Area B Institutional Options Required Hours: 4-5
Select two of the following courses:
Select one of the following courses: Foreign Language 1001, 1002, 2001, or 2002
Any Area C-E course with a study abroad component.
Note: Students must complete Area B and Area D with a combined total of 15 credit hours within the following ranges: Area B, 4-5 hours; Area D1, 7-8 hours; Area D2, 3-4 hours. Any additional hours may be applied to Area F or beyond, depending on the program of study. Students should consult their advisors.
Area C Humanities/Fine Arts/Ethics Required Hours: 6
Select one of the following humanities courses:
Area D Science/Math/Technology Required Hours: 10-11
D1: Select two science courses from the list below, one of which must include a lab.
ASTR 1105/1305 (lab optional)
BIOL 1215K (lab included)
BIOL 1125 (no lab)
ENVS 1105/1105L (lab optional)
D2: Select one of the following courses or a science course from above:
Area E Social Sciences Required Hours: 12
Select one course from the following two courses:
Take the following course:
Select one behavioral science course from the following courses:
Select one world cultures course from the following courses:
Wellness Requirement Required Hours: 3
Area F Courses Related to Major Required Hours: 18
EDUC 2120 Diversity in Educational Contexts
EDUC 2130 Exploring Learning and Teaching
SPED 2155 Nat/Charact of Mild/Mod Dis
SPED 2405 Classroom Practicum in Mild/Mod
Select one semester hour of advisor approved electives
Area G Program Requirements Required Hours: 60
SPED 3215 Assessment and RX in Special Ed
SPED 3225 Teaching Math in Special Education
SPED 3275 Behavior Mgmt for Students w/Dis
SPED 4105 Tech Adapt. for Except. Learners
SPED 4136 Policies and Procedures in Special Education
SPED 4216 Teaching Soc. Stud. & Science
SPED 4225 Collaboration & Consultation
SPED 4245 Meth/Materials in Mild & Mod
SPED 4408 Program Practicum in Special Education
EDRG 3215 Teaching Children to Read
EDRG 4219 Diagnostic and Prescriptive Reading Instruction
EDRG 5115 Word Perception and Vocabulary Development in Grades 4-12
EDRG 5217 Teach Read & Writing in Grade 4-12
EDUF 4205 Integrating Technology
Student Teaching Experience
EDUF 4115 Classroom Management
SPED 4485 Student Teaching
Total Hours Required: 123