Doctor of Education
Curriculum and Leadership
College of Education and Health Professsions
Department of Counseling, Foundations, and Leadership
- Program Description
- Admission Requirements
- Learning Outcomes
- Additional Program Requirements
- Program of Study
Classes in the 63-credit hour program are intended for classroom educators, school administrators, district personnel and other individuals seeking professional expertise in leadership.
This program is delivered in a cohort model in which students work together through their required coursework in face-to-face or hybrid classes. Some approved electives may be offered online.
Educator Preparation at Columbus State University is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
The Ed.D. program is approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
- Applicant must hold at least a master’s degree from an accredited United States institution, or the equivalent from an international institution.
- Academic good standing at the institution last attended.
- GPA of at least 3.5 on all graduate course work at an accredited United States institution in fulfillment of the requirement for a graduate degree.
- Satisfactory scores on the general portion (Quantitative Reasoning and Verbal Reasoning) of the Revised Graduate Record Exam (GRE) with a satisfactory score on the Analytical Writing component.
- Four (4) years of experience in a school setting or in a leadership role in the private sector.
- No criminal record or discharge from the armed services that would prevent recommendation for related teacher, counseling or leadership certifications.
- The successful applicant must not have been removed from or denied admittance to a teacher education program or student teaching.
- Develop a high degree of expertise in school improvement, research, and professional learning.
- Develop and implement leadership frameworks, curriculum models, and instructional practices that are supported by research.
- Develop research models similar to those implemented to test the efficacy of specific treatments in the field of medicine.
- Identify problems in the schools, employ research strategies, analyze data, and make appropriate program revisions that positively impact student learning and achievement.
- Identify practices, rigorously test those practices, and ascertain best practice to implement in a specific environment.
Additional Program Requirements
- Completion of all required coursework (minimum of 63 semester hours) with a 3.5 GPA and no more than one grade of C applying toward the degree
- Completion of dissertation
- Successful defense of dissertation
- Acceptance of dissertation by the COEHP Office of Graduate Studies
- Residency of a minimum of 48 semester hours
Program Of Study
Area 1 Required Hours: 15
EDHE 8722 Doctoral Seminar in Higher Education
EDUF 7118 Qualitative Research Methods
EDUF 8108 Applications of Neurological Research
EDUF 8126 Introduction to Statistical Methods in Education
EDUF 8127 Quantitative Experimental Research
Area 2 Specialization
Candidates choose one area of Specialization
Specialization Curriculum Required Hours: 21
EDCI 7158 Leadership in the Curriculum Change Process
EDCI 7159 Assessment in Teaching and Learning
EDCI 8555 Selected Topics in Education
EDUF 7115 Psychology of Teaching
9 hours of approved courses in discipline
Specialization Educational Leadership Required Hours: 21
EDUL 7105 The School Improvement Plan
EDUL 7107 School Reform and the Change Process
EDUL 7698 Internship
EDUL 7794 Policy, Law, and Ethics
EDUL 7797 Budget Alignment to School System Mission
EDUL 7899 Independent Study
Specialization Higher Education Required Hours: 21
EDHE 8101 Introduction to Higher Education
EDHE 8102 Academic Affairs
EDHE 8103 Finance and Administrative Affairs
EDHE 8110 Policy and Politics of Higher Education
EDHE 8112 Higher Education Student Services
EDHE 8123 Research in Higher Education
EDHE 8125 Educational Evaluation
Area 3 Dissertation Required Hours: 12
EDUF 8129 Developing the Dissertation Proposal
EDUF 8999 Dissertation
Area 4 Electives Required Hours: 15
Approved courses in discipline
Area 5 Exit Requirements Required Hours: 0
Total Required Hours: 63