Specialist in Education
Early Childhood Education
College of Education and Health Professions
Department of Teacher Education
- Program Description
- Admission Requirements
- Learning Outcomes
- Additional Program Requirements
- Program of Study
Educator Preparation at Columbus State University is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), formerly the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
All educator preparation programs are approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
- GPA of at least 3.0 on all graduate course work at an accredited United States institution in fulfillment of the requirements for a graduate degree
- A clear renewable teaching license or documentation of eligibility for certification (approved program completion and applicable licensure exam scores)
- The successful applicant must not have a criminal record or discharge from the armed services that would prevent recommendation for related teacher certifications
- Minimum of three years of teaching experience
Upon completion of the program of study, students completing the EdS program in Early Childhood Education will:
- evaluate and implement curriculum theory, developmentally appropriate instructional strategies, and assessments methods and techniques for diverse learners, their learning styles, and their environments supported by contemporary theory and research (teaching, scholarship);
- identify a self-selected area of professional interest conducive to assuming leadership roles within a school setting (scholarship & professionalism);
- employ problem solving resources, skills, and techniques necessary for ethical decision making in early childhood environments (scholarship & professionalism); and
- select and use variety of technological resources for instruction, management, media development, and problem solving (to include online teaching and learning) (teaching).
Additional Program Requirements
- Students must earn a 3.0 GPA calculated on all graduate work attempted. "Academic Forgiveness" policy does not apply to graduate studies.
- Students cannot graduate with a grade of "C" or below in more than two (2) graduate courses without an appeal to the College of Education Graduate Council.
- A minimum of 24 semester hours required for the degree must be earned in residence (75%). Asynchronous (online) and distance learning courses administered through Columbus State University constitute courses taken in residence.
- A maximum of six (6) semester hours of transfer credit or courses taken at CSU prior to full admission to a specialist degree program may be applied toward the degree. Courses with earned grades of "C" or below are not accepted. Courses must be approved by the major advisor and department chair.
- An active LiveText account is a required resource for this program because selected assignments must be submitted electronically using this online platform. LiveText (www.livetext.com) is used by the university to maintain our accreditation, to demonstrate the quality of our academic programs, and to improve teaching and learning.
Program Of Study
Area 1 Professional Core Required Hours: 6
EDUF 7116 Applied Educational Research
EDEC 7147 Investigating Problems in Early Childhood Education
Area 2 Concentration Required Hours: 12
EDEC 7127 Perspectives in Early Childhood Education
EDEC 7137 Advocacy & Public Policy in ECE
EDEC 7155 Cognitive Development in Young Children
EDEC 7899 Research in Early Childhood
Area 3 Electives Required Hours: 12
Select 12 advisor approved hours in early childhood courses or related field studies. At least 6 hours must be at the 7000-level.
Professional Activities Requirement
All candidates must complete and provide verification of a minimum of three professional activities prior to
completion of the program (see Advisor for Professional Activities Form).
Note: See advisor for information about all endorsements.